Connect with us

Affinity Magazine | For The Social Teen

Affinity Magazine | For The Social Teen

Race

Covergirl’s New Cover Boy James Charles Under Fire For Tweets

Last year when we heard the news that Covergirl got its first “Coverboy”, we were excited. Make-up should not be exclusive to women, because it isn’t. All genders should be allowed to wear make-up. Covergirl making this progressive step forward showed us that make-up can defy the limits of gender.

Today, Charles tweeted about fearing to go to Africa because he fears he will get Ebola.

That’s ignorant because Ebola hasn’t been an issue in Africa since last year. In fact as of January 14, 2016 the World Health Organization has said Africa as a whole is now clear of Ebola. After making this tweet, James quickly deleted it and didn’t apologize. He continued to avoid taking responsibility for his ignorant statement.

It is 2017, and  many white people still see Africa as a wide grassland filled with animals and naked people. What many people don’t realize is Africa is more than just ebola or animals or naked people. Africa has one of the fastest growing economies. Places like Nigeria have become a hub for trade, and places like Kenya are boosting in technology. In fact, Kenya had a technological development that could send money to other people’s phones before Snapchat or Facebook.

Charle’s ignorance is that of the same ignorance Taylor Swift has in her video for “Wildest Dream”. In her video, you only saw animals in the backdrop as her and her white co-star were the focus. Continued ignorance of Africa seems to never go away. As the world continues to steal resources from it, they fail to learn about the people or the culture. Places like Starbucks have coffee specially from Kenya. How dare James travel to Africa and not do his research. He should have kept his ignorant tweet to himself. As a spokesperson for Covergirl, he has a MORAL obligation to uphold. By tweeting that, he is continuing to spread the ignorance people have about Africa. He is spreading false information. I will always be cautious of white gays; many of them aren’t that progressive. They lack intersectionality. You can not define a whole continent with a disease that only affected few countries within it. Africa is much more than the negative images people portray about it.

Hopefully James apologizes for his remarks. Ignorance is not bliss.

Update February 16 9:46pm: James issued an apology

Comments

comments

Evelyn V. Woodsen

Evelyn Atieno is a sometimes journalist who enjoys binge watching Gossip Girl every other month. She has been featured in MTV,Business Insider, Huffington Post and The Baltimore Sun

Continue Reading
You may also like...
133 Comments

133 Comments

1. Pingback: James Charles Ebola Tweet: Full Story & Must-See Photos

2. nick

February 16, 2017 at 3:58 pm

you’re mad because james was ignorant and incorrectly stereotyped, yet you do the same thing: “i will always be cautious of white gays; many of them aren’t progressive. they lack intersectionality”?????

• Kiajah Rhodes

February 16, 2017 at 7:43 pm

“I will always be cautious of white gays; many of them aren’t that progressive.” is out of hand.

• janine

February 19, 2017 at 8:26 pm

Yes! Thank you for the hypocritical line that basically stereotyped all gay white men… intelligent!

3. John

February 16, 2017 at 4:43 pm

Africa is also violently homophobic so I’m not really feeling sorry for them.

• Cyre

February 18, 2017 at 7:10 pm

Bitch you sound stupid as shit

4. K

February 16, 2017 at 5:03 pm

You will always be cautious of white gays? Did you really write that while rippling someone else a new one for being ignorant? How dare YOU!

5. Annie

February 16, 2017 at 5:04 pm

They have been hyping up this man in a way Covergirl has never hyped up a woman of color and I really have a problem with that. A white man, before a WOC leading such a big make up campaign. Sorry, but the majority of make up consumers are still women and I resent that we can’t have ANYTHING for ourselves without awful men taking over and earning things they don’t deserve. Wear make up if you want, but why land campaigns that WOC will never get just because they are white boys? And then to behave this badly on top of it. He’s not even the best male make up guru out there. It’s a shame to hire somebody like this. All those young famous male influencers are problematic as hell (hello jeffrey starr) but they keep getting away with sh-t that women can’t while landing campaigns and contracts. I do not support this. That move was nothing but PR to seem progressive and woke. Young male influencers are the worst. It kills me that he took opportunities from young WOC just because he’s a white boy wearing make up. Spare me.

• Jas

February 18, 2017 at 10:19 pm

I think youre forgetting about Queen Latifah who was their main spokesperson for years

6. Michael

February 16, 2017 at 5:10 pm

What he said was EXTREMELY ignorant and not funny at all… and you would absolutely be able to relate as your just exhibited the exact same ignorance by making that comment about being cautious about white gays & them lacking intersectionality. Stereotypes in an article about being anti-stereotypical? Maybe you should rethink your career as well because you’re not very good at writing.

7. Sabrina

February 16, 2017 at 5:21 pm

He did eventually apologize, but, it was the shallow non-apology PR spread we always get.

8. Kris

February 16, 2017 at 5:28 pm

I completely agree with you but aren’t you being hypocritical when saying “I’ll be cautious of all white gays”, being very general and narrow-minded. I understand how frustrating this must be, but not every white, male, and or gay is as ignorant as he was.
    As you say you cannot define a whole continent you can’t define a whole group of people just being there are a couple of bad apples.

I do support the frustration with him, but maybe also people should explain to him his ignorance or wrongness instead of immediately shaming him, even if his comment is stupid as hell. Maybe he just hasn’t been exposed to it, hopefully in his trip to Africa he can enjoy and learn about the reality of the culture there.

9. Alice Mae

February 16, 2017 at 5:43 pm

Oh look it’s the same magazine that said Jeffree Star only wore his dress in a kitchen despite there being evidence of him going to a fashion show…It was obviously intended as satire, something v common among teenagers, you need to calm down tbh ?? Sounds like you’ll make up offence and a story out of anything to bring successful people down. How petty lol

10. John

February 16, 2017 at 5:48 pm

“I will always be cautious of white gays; many of them aren’t that progressive. They lack intersectionality. You can not define a whole continent with a disease that only affected few countries within it.”

Great generalization of white gays.

James comment is an opportunity for discussion and educating.

I agree ignorance is not bliss.

11. megan

February 16, 2017 at 5:57 pm

“I will always be careful about white gays” oh my

12. Nigher extermination machine ONLINE

February 16, 2017 at 6:26 pm

The article you cited saying africa is free of ebola states in the first sentence that ebola killed someone a day after that article was published you glorified field plow

13. Pingback: Highlight & Headass: Cover Girl’s Ambassador Is Getting Blasted For Being Racist - NaijaRepublic Site

14. Pingback: Highlight & Headass: Cover Girl’s Ambassador Is Getting Blasted For Being Racist » AfrotainmentTV.com

15. Annie

February 16, 2017 at 6:34 pm

They have been hyping up this man in a way Covergirl has never hyped up a woman of color and I really have a problem with that. A white man, before a WOC leading such a big make up campaign. Sorry, but the majority of make up consumers are still women and I resent that we can’t have ANYTHING for ourselves without awful men taking over and earning things they don’t deserve. Wear make up if you want, but why give them campaigns that WOC will never get just because they are white boys and gay? And then to behave this badly on top of it. He’s not even the best male make up guru out there. It’s a shame to hire somebody like this. All those young famous male influencers are problematic as hell (hello jeffrey starr) but they keep getting away with sh-t that women can’t while landing big campaigns and contracts. I do not support this. That move was nothing but PR to seem progressive and woke but it was not a good campaign. Young male influencers are the worst. It kills me that he took opportunities from young WOC just because he’s a white boy wearing make up. Spare me.

White males will forever be entitled to stuff. Stop giving them undeserved opportunities you don’t give to WOC. This is not their turf. Make up will never look as amazing on men as it does on women. ENOUGH with this idiocy,

16. JP

February 16, 2017 at 6:35 pm

I mean it might not be that different from when people in other countries say Americans are fat – even we have stereotypes here. He’s a kid, cut him a lil slack cuz I guarantee we’ve all said stupid shit especially when we are young. I know cuz I’m damn old and have said my share. He’s traveling there. What better way for him to open his eyes and become more aware. Maybe we could just see it as an opportunity to help him expand. Ya know?

17. Aleessa

February 16, 2017 at 7:17 pm

Was it really necessary to put your stereotype on white gays? Isn’t that hypocritical just because of one guy that posted something stupid? I’m not trying to cause hate or anything but one thing that I dislike about this post is that you could’ve just said what happened and ended it there but you didn’t and had to voice your opinion. Talk about biased and hypocritical. Jake or whatever his name is was wrong in his part and this article doesn’t help with that type of conclusion. Thanks.

18. Stojef

February 16, 2017 at 7:22 pm

We have a President who is destroying this country and you rage about a stupid tweet. Get a job.

Yessi

February 16, 2017 at 8:22 pm

We have a President who is destroying this country and you rage about a “stupid” article. Get a job.

19. Atomic

February 16, 2017 at 7:27 pm

I think this was a well informed article. I’m really glad you decided to bring this ignorance to light. But it’d be really nice if you weren’t a hypocrite in your own article. You say no one should make generalizations about Africa and Africans as a whole which I fully believe but then you go on to generalize all white gays as non progressive and untrustworthy. You cannot define a whole continent, you cannot define a whole sexuality or race, period. Word of the wise, if you want people to follow your words and make a change try being the change yourself. That’s all.

20. Anonymous

February 16, 2017 at 7:54 pm

trueeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee thank u i am from Egypt which is in africa(a fact many people overlook). Thank u for defending my country!

21. Anonymous

February 16, 2017 at 7:55 pm

His tweet is in quotations.

22. Ryan

February 16, 2017 at 8:00 pm

This isn’t journalism

23. Christine

February 16, 2017 at 8:05 pm

He could apologize until his rectum falls out. Or he develops throat cancer. I wouldn’t give a fig. I will not ever buy another product from this company with if I commanded all the wealthy elite alphabet mafia money in this u.s. corporation. Just because the homotrans bullies have the strongest political lobby ever in the history of this country, doesn’t give them and pass to be ugly to every human on planet earth. Foh. I’ll be sharing this on every social media platform that’s available.

• Bobbi

February 18, 2017 at 11:18 am

Did you bother to read his apology? He said he was wrong and felt really bad about what he said. He also said this trip to Africa was an opportunity to learn about the people and culture of the continent. Try actually giving the kid a break. He wants to learn and correct his false impressions given to him by others. You are a disgusting individual who is as bad as the anti-gay commentator.

• Joruff

February 19, 2017 at 2:57 am

Actually he said it’s an educational trip because we know very little about the COUNTRY. Africa is a continent not a country. I can’t even begin to get into the levels of ignorance this person is displaying.

24. Erin

February 16, 2017 at 8:15 pm

Does anyone else find the irony in that? You stereotype all white gays based off of one man’s comments about stereotyping a continent based off of a few countries within it. Food for thought.

25. Anonymous

February 16, 2017 at 8:17 pm

I honestly refuse to allow this stiffness to go on any longer. America has been so blinded by everything and it needs to end…. EVERYTHING that people do now is seen as racist or something. Example 1- Beyoncé not winning at the Grammys and everyone calling the Grammys racist because of Adele winning. It’s not that big a fucking deal. Adele herself said she didn’t deserve the award and broke it in half and gave the other half to Beyoncé. Example two- this shit right here, I’m not condoning what Hebrew said but I’m saying that all you people need to stop being so fucking hypocritical about everything. A kid makes 1 slip up and already everyone is banding against him to end career. There’s this thing called imperfection that all people suffer from

26. Joe

February 16, 2017 at 8:31 pm

Hmm

27. Kam

February 16, 2017 at 8:32 pm

Very great article! Thank you for also including facts about Africa’s growing economy!!! A very important fact.

28. Anonymous

February 16, 2017 at 8:36 pm

hahahahahaha the left really does consume itself. Fucking hilarious

29. Pingback: CoverGirl’s First Spokesman Jokes About Africa Having Ebola – New York Magazine | World Wide News Update

30. SheLovesG

February 16, 2017 at 9:05 pm

That’s so wrong! Africa also has jenkem and AIDS

• Bobbi

February 18, 2017 at 11:34 am

And the US has AIDS, STDs, heroin, cocaine, crack cocaine, and various other nasty drugs (many of which are prescription) and diseases. So if you are going to criticize Africa, you must include us. Plus all the people who can’t even get help thanks to our horrific medical system – which is getting worse now.

31. Anonymous

February 16, 2017 at 9:10 pm

yo this website is fucking cancer

32. danna

February 16, 2017 at 9:25 pm

fucking idiot …….that is what happens when they hire some dude that played with make up a little too much and cover girl was desperate to appeal to the millenials.

33. Trinity

February 16, 2017 at 9:38 pm

I was all for this article until you stereotyped white gays. That was very hypocritical as you just criticized him for stereotyping Africa.

34. Dean Velentzas

February 16, 2017 at 10:01 pm

Was in total accord with this article up until the final comment: “I will always be conscious of white gays”. Is ostracizing one minority any way to instil a solid point? Wish this could have ended on a more positive note.

• lisa

February 16, 2017 at 10:24 pm

no one is going to sugar coat anti blackness in the gay community 🙂 truth hurts

35. Anonymous

February 16, 2017 at 10:07 pm

OMG!!!………he s not even handsome or cute not even attractive…UGH!!!!…..COVERGIRL you can do better than that where did u get THAT from ????….SMH…there are a lot of handsome African men that would run circles around him

36. Anonymous

February 16, 2017 at 10:14 pm

Ndhwkahdjso

37. lisa

February 16, 2017 at 10:21 pm

intersectionaility is a con game. stop falling for it black folks. only black people take ”intersectionality” seriously. while other groups look out for themselves, while using black people for their own agenda. stop caping for other groups 2017

38. Anonymous

February 16, 2017 at 10:28 pm

He is SAD AND TRIFLING for even letting that come out his mouth! That’s what happens when u give NO LIFE PEOPLE a platform to speak! I blame CoverGirl!

39. Anonymous

February 16, 2017 at 10:33 pm

U ALREADY LOOK LIKE U GOT AIDS..SOOOOO WHATS THE PROBLEM..???

40. Anonymous

February 16, 2017 at 10:34 pm

people are so dumb… you cant take a joke?

41. Doris Bradley

February 16, 2017 at 10:36 pm

U ALREADY LOOK LIKE U GOT AIDS..!!! SOOOOO WHATS THE PROBLEM

42. Pingback: Covergirl's First Coverboy Apologizes Over Ebola Joke

43. Nope

February 16, 2017 at 11:02 pm

This headline is blown 10 miles out of proportion. Your magazine must just be trash click-bait.

44. Anonymous

February 16, 2017 at 11:11 pm

Be cautious of all white gays?? You sound as ignorant as he does.

45. Anonymous

February 16, 2017 at 11:13 pm

Be cautious of all white gays?? You sound as ignorant as he does

46. Tiffany

February 16, 2017 at 11:15 pm

“I will always be cautious of white gays”? Isn’t that sterotyping?
    I think what he said is atrocious and that covergirl should take action against him for his ignorance but you saying that comment honestly makes you no better.

47. Jaime

February 16, 2017 at 11:18 pm

I can understand how his comment may not have been the best thing to say .. but it was a major problem in Africa and he was just trying to be funny.
    But I’m not really here to defend him or dis a location. I’m actually here to question YOU Evelyn Atieno on how you can judge him, and rip him apart for what he said and consider him racist or whatever else, yet you said “you’ll always be cautious of white gays” because “many of them aren’t that progressive” and “they lack intersectionality”.. is that supposed to be okay? Should we not rip you apart for saying that .. are you in fact a racists against whites? And also a homophobe? How dare you judge an entire community based on one guys poor choice of words. Fuck you ma’am you are no better than him.

48. Anonymous

February 16, 2017 at 11:20 pm

Man I really liked this article until ironically it turned into the same thing you’re writing about. I’m referring to “I will always be cautious of white gays”. I myself am a white European gay male and that statement doesn’t offend me but rather disappoints me that you would educate others on the great continent of Africa (that’s not sarcasm) but say gay white males make you feel the need to be cautious. Of course you don’t mean all but state “many of them aren’t progressive “. Lumping us under a general umbrella of conservative white gays who are ignorant.

49. Joe

February 16, 2017 at 11:24 pm

“I will always be cautious of white gays; many of them aren’t that progressive. They lack intersectionality. You cannot define a whole contenient with a disease that only affected few countries within it.” As such, you cannot define a whole group of people by the actions of a few of its members!! You had me on your side until that little “gem” at the end. But maybe I’m just not that “progressive”!

50. Kiera

February 16, 2017 at 11:41 pm

I mean that’s just stupid that he would say that but he didn’t necessarily say “all Africa has is Ebola”. What he said still terribly wrong but I think it’s a bit rude to say “many white people think Africa is grassland full of animals and naked people and Ebola” why just white people?? Many and I mean many people I know (who have dark skin) think Africa still has Ebola. So where are the facts that white people are the ones who think that? And all tho the majority of Africans are dark skin you do realize people from there can be white skinned? I’m South African and white skinned.

51. Anonymous

February 16, 2017 at 11:50 pm

Fucking shoot yourself please. You are a racist, bigoted, moronic piece of shit that never should of been born.

52. Francisco

February 16, 2017 at 11:56 pm

“I will always be cautious of white gays; many of them aren’t that progressive.” So here you’re complaining about stupid people generalising Africa as a safari with diseases but by all means please be aware of white gays because they are not progressive or educated. How about no? How about you abstain from saying something you’re criticising in the first place. Smh

53. Pingback: CoverGirl’s First Spokesman Jokes About Africa Having Ebola – New York Magazine | Everyday News Update

54. Francisco

February 16, 2017 at 11:59 pm

Are you serious? How about you stop being such a hypocrite?

55. Abby

February 16, 2017 at 11:59 pm

Completely agreed with every word of this article until you said “I will always be cautious of white gays, many of them aren’t that progressive.” You are no better than James trying to define a whole continent with a disease by making assumptions and judgments based on a type of person. You are going to be cautious of a man because he’s white and loves boys not girls? There are white straight/gay men/women, black straight/gay men/women, asian straight/gay men/woman, Latino straight/gay men/woman people of all colour and orientations that can be ignorant. That part was absolutely unnecessary and offensive

56. Pingback: CoverGirl’s James Charles Jokes About Africa Having Ebola | HappyKlappers

57. Sarah

February 17, 2017 at 12:08 am

Did you just generalize white gays in an article urging others not to generalize? Practice what you preach.

58. Anonymous

February 17, 2017 at 12:10 am

He has apologized -it’s on his twitter

59. James McGee

February 17, 2017 at 12:25 am

It’s a joke taking a stab at Chipotle. He was not seriously saying he was afraid of getting ebola. Even if he was, didn’t say all Africa has is ebola. Did he also say all Chipotle has is ebola? Lol, what are you smoking?

60. insulted

February 17, 2017 at 12:32 am

actually your little comment about “white” gay men is highly offensive and I’m about to start sharing this article to put YOU on blast. are you progressive? I don’t think white Americans are anymore delusional about Africa than Black Americans. It would be like a white writer saying – most African Americans still believe people who live in Ireland are alcoholic and I think the redheads are sketchy- see how that sounds when you switch it up? Maybe spend less time trying to shame a boy who is doing something amazing and said something obviously stupid and actually use YOUR platform to enlighten All Americans about Africa. I appreciate you trying to open minds but referencing a lame taylor swift video and saying things like “many white people” and you’re prejudice and distrust in “white” gay men is YOUR problem and really show how closed your mind is, defeats the purpose. Next time you try to sound intelligent make sure you have someone,that is, proofread beforehand – so they can point out your obvious hypocrisy and gay prejudice. Affinity Magazine is no longer credible to me. Good Job, Evelyn.

61. Muzikmaidn

February 17, 2017 at 12:41 am

Modeling is a job like standing and waving a sign, neither says that you are well educated or caring. You just working.

• Bobbi

February 18, 2017 at 11:51 am

Don’t know what you do for a living but you certainly have a low opinion of people who actually work for a living. I know some sign wavers – those people you look down on. They are all working part time while in school. Sign waving allows them to work around their school schedules. But you probably have a low opinion of people who work fast food, store clerks, servers, and other low paying jobs. Trash haulers don’t make much, either. Maybe all these people who aren’t “educated” and “caring” should just quit and die. Then you might realize their worth. But I doubt it.

62. Dan

February 17, 2017 at 12:53 am

I honestly hope you read this because all I see is you spreading false information and ignorance. “White gays aren’t progressive. I’m cautious about them,” don’t judge the group based on the actions of James Charles, Evelyn.

63. niraken

February 17, 2017 at 12:53 am

LMFAO SJW Catfight! Snowflake fight.

64. Linda

February 17, 2017 at 1:14 am

“You can not define a whole continent with a disease that only affected a few continents.” This is true, but who are you to define a whole group of people, white gays, and say they lack intersectionality? How hypocritical of you. The person defines the person, not what color or sexual orientation they may be.

65. Cort

February 17, 2017 at 1:14 am

I was with you all the way to “i will always be cautious of white gays” as now you’re just grouping us all together and doing the same thing we’re fighting to stop. Do you know a lot of “white gays” for you to be informed?

Like i said, i agree with everything else you wrote. But don’t tear one group down to raise your own. That dude is a clown, and he doesnt represent a whole community.

66. Andy

February 17, 2017 at 1:19 am

You totally had me until “I am always cautious of white gays.”

you are no better than he is with your stereotypes and your ignorance.

67. Michelle

February 17, 2017 at 1:20 am

I agree that the comment about Africa is part due to ignorance and a egocentric view on James part however, to categorize this article as only white people make this same remark or assumption is callous and not just in writing. Not all white people are misguided the same as not every race is well informed either. Comments like this that hold a tone which separates instead of unites does not further understanding or comprehension. Instead this only helps perpetuate a sad mindset in which we don’t learn from actions and choose to keep in a single mindset. You even wrote in your article it’s the “world” that is stealing africas resources, why can’t others within the world be malinformed about other aspects of a very deep and historical place and people

68. Eva McKenzie

February 17, 2017 at 1:25 am

Please tell me that you were being ironic with this statement… ” I will always be cautious of white gays; many of them aren’t that progressive. They lack intersectionality. You can not define a whole continent with a disease that only affected few countries within it.” If not, you are being hypocritical. I know many white gays, most of whom are very intelligent and liberal.

Just as “you can not define a whole continent with a disease that only affected a few countries”, you cannot define an entire race or sexuality based on your opionion of a few. That would be prejudice and racist. If this were the case, we could say thay most men are chauvinistic and most women are money leaches, neither of which are true.

69. "The Fiesty-Man"

February 17, 2017 at 1:40 am

This has obviously been taken way out of context, and I feel awful for him to be going through this, it’s stupid that we don’t report things “In context” instead make it as negative as possible.
    It’s like our society lives to believe the worst story possible about a person, and they could be the most loving, caring, giving person anyone had ever known.

There are tons of comedians that have said way worse then “I hope I don’t get Ebola” actually I understand the concern, it’s what the news focused on, they say we are ignorant for not seeing more to africa, well what does the news tell us about Africa, all the terrible things, nothing positive.
    Many people have been angry about him being the Covergirl, first ever Coverguy, in my OPINION this is just another reason they’re using to bully CoverGirl for their choice.

70. Daniel English

February 17, 2017 at 1:53 am

Considering how this kid is only 17 years old one shouldn’t fault him for behaving like an ignorant high schooler. If those words had come out of the mouth of any other kid of any race at that age who wasn’t famous it wouldn’t be given a second glance. But let us be honest here this is just a way to demonize a boy who is barely starting out in life. And I would almost say there is some underlying racial bigotry by the author to devote an entire article to the comments of an ignorant 17-year-old Caucasian boy. Comments which quite honestly could have come from any 17-year-old.

71. Paul

February 17, 2017 at 2:00 am

What he said was wrong, however saying that, anyone that says africa makes them think of animals and grasslands is no more racist or prejudice as someone saying “I love England because of the Queen and drinking Tea”. Those things are cultural views and preconceptions and nothing more . I’ve been all over the world and every country has the same preconceived cultural ideas about every other country. Vs I can understand how it can become a little tiresome, but not racist .

72. Wallace Henderson

February 17, 2017 at 2:05 am

You made an article bringing coverage of an ignorant tweet but then filled it with ignorant statements of your own. White gay men bashing? White gay men aren’t progressive? I’m a white gay man and district manager employing over 100 people. I’m well versed in culture and support everyone equally I employ many people of colour and divers cultural backgrounds. What a joke this article is. How dare you be so ignorant to group the majority of white gay men with this clown. Maybe you should educate yourself more Evelyn.

73. Anonymous

February 17, 2017 at 2:14 am

You’re freaking out because people define the continent as diseased, while in the sentence right before you are defining white gays as non progressive. Don’t be a hypocrite ??

74. Aaron

February 17, 2017 at 2:26 am

well if africa is that good, africans need not travel to Europe or any WHITE country in their millions then!

• Bobbi

February 18, 2017 at 11:41 am

And since white countries are so good, white people should stay in their own countries and never travel. They might accidentally learn something. Of course, we don’t have to worry about that with such a racist as yourself.

75. Emily

February 17, 2017 at 2:47 am

Poorly written article

76. Pingback: James Charles Addresses His Ebola Tweet, Anti-Blackness and Working With People Of Color – Affinity Magazine | For The Social Teen

77. Diavolos

February 17, 2017 at 3:26 am

Yes but you are writing this article while residing in a white settler country. Not in Africa. Stop trolling people, you are the last ones who want to go to Africa yet you are very fast at using the word “African” before “American”.

78. Kat

February 17, 2017 at 3:44 am

You completely misquoted him, in no way did he say “All Africa Has Is Ebola.” (talk about spreading false information) The fact is that it did, now it doesn’t. He and many others were not made aware that it has been clear of ebola. But you as a heterosexual are coming from a place of privilege to attack the career of someone because of their sexuality. And you are making general assumptions about a whole group of people. I hope you take the last sentence of your article and apply it to your own life.

79. Eli R

February 17, 2017 at 3:52 am

Why is it racist or not PC to voice a real world fear. Its his feeling based on a real world epedemic that killed and sickened alot of people with an at the time incurable disease.Its like the ignorant villagers stoning a witch.Yes that also goes on in bloody Africa today.

80. Anonymous

February 17, 2017 at 3:52 am

There are white people that have been born and live here. I have met black Americans who had the same image of Africa as the ‘white’ people you so blithely accuse in you piece. You are quick to judge another for stereo tuping and in the process are no better.

81. Diana

February 17, 2017 at 3:56 am

How care of what he thinks. Africa is the alfa and omega in other words africa is the beginning of everything, they all can denied it but when they go at night to sleep they have nightmares and think how come we say and do all those horrible things to africa and Africans but they still standing and smiling. We are who we are.

82. Pingback: CoverGirl's First Spokesman Jokes About Africa Having Ebola | Report News Today

83. Angie

February 17, 2017 at 4:16 am

I agree with your statement that he is ignorant and it shouldn’t have been published, but in reality writing “I will always be cautious of white gays; many of them aren’t that progressive” is equally as ignorant on your behalf. Charles made a rude statement and I’m not standing up for him, but truthfully, this is terribly written, biased and just as disrespectful as the man’s tweet you are commenting on.

84. Mary

February 17, 2017 at 4:23 am

This is really stupid. He never said all Africa has is Ebola!

85. Anonymous

February 17, 2017 at 4:38 am

You’re right you can’t define a whole continent with a disease that only affected a few countries within it. But you also can’t define a whole race or all the guys as being ignorant to this information . The problem isn’t white people it’s ignorance of all people. Blaming all whites and being cautious of all guys just because a few of them said something stupid is just as bad as what he said. I’ve met quite a few black people just as ignorant to the world outside of what they live in but that doesn’t mean all of them are that way. Please don’t lump us all in with this embarrassing display of lack of professionalism.

86. Anonymous

February 17, 2017 at 4:46 am

Evelyn, this is s great learning opportunity for this guy. He’s a young kid with little life experience. And yes his inappropriate comment is more a reflection of societies focus on backward, racist stereotypes of Africa it’s people, culture, economy. This kid is just regurgitating information he is fed. Inappropriate? Yes! Should he be called on it ? Yes! Should we take the opportunity to educate? Yes.

Lady! DO NOT TAKE THIS OPPORTUNITY TO SPREAD HOMOPHOBIA! Because from what I can discern this white gay male is far more progressive than yourself.

87. Qwert

February 17, 2017 at 5:21 am

I feel this article is very wrong. James did actually leave a long, sincere apology to all of his fans and after all, he is still a high schooler and goes to a small public high school. Actions like these are nothing to be reprimanded by the entire country, I bet anyone who writes an article like this about him made silly jokes like this one while they were in high school. The only difference is James apologized for his.

88. Alexandra

February 17, 2017 at 6:01 am

Honestly, this article is about him saying something stereotypical. And then YOU go about saying “I will always be cautious of white gays; many of them aren’t that progressive.” Did you think, writing that?

89. Stella

February 17, 2017 at 6:07 am

What an idiot….goodbye; career over! Africa, is the worlds largest continent, James. Once you get someone to help you find it on a map?….apologize to the people living there for your ignorance….you know, on your way out.

• Stella

February 17, 2017 at 6:18 am

Also; of course, the first stereotype did not deserve nor justify the second one, stereotyping is not healthy for anyone. Shame on you, for your, “Gays,” statement.

90. Diane Branson

February 17, 2017 at 6:26 am

Wow…he tweeted an ignorant statement about Africa that hurt a lot of people (including me!)…and after my red face complete with steam coming from my ears!) returned to normal, I’m left with sadness rather than anger. I’m sad because Covergirl has shown compassion to so many (the late young lady with cancer who made an honorary COVER GIRL, the beautiful young Muslim woman) and many others who are wonderfully unique and amazing…and representative of much more than typical models and celebrities, I admired COVERGIRL and bought many of their products. I am proud their diversity! I assumed James Charles’a campaign was spectacular and a brilliant addition to their modern family of COVERGIRL. When I saw his Ebola tweet it floored me! How would he like a shitty ignorant tweet about being a COVERBOY? I’m sure he would be offended and call out the
    tweet for being insensitive, CLOSE MINDED and IGORANT!! Why he would make such a close minded
    IGNORANT tweet about an ENTIRE CONTINENT baffles me. It also makes me think he’s dumb as a rock and has no clue about Africa and its people and customs. I realize he’s pretty young, and young people make mistakes like that, but to handle the tsunami of angry responses with cattiness is LOW and just plain ol’ IGNORANT. He has a lot to learn about the world. COVERGIRL needs to be careful who they hire to represent them. Maybe assign someone to filter his his social media accounts (like Adele has done so she wouldn’t say
    something moronic, a self admitted problem she talks freely about!). Grow up, Charles, and if you don’t want to lose your dream job, THINK BEFORE TWEETING!! Learn about the country you’re visiting. And learn to be humble and apoligize for your mistakes. Maybe it hasn’t sunken in yet, but you are you are important! The beginning of something wonderful and special in the ongoing battle for tolerance and acceptance for gender equality.
    equality

• Bobbi

February 18, 2017 at 11:56 am

His apology was honest and heartfelt. He’s a 17 year old kid who learned his lesson. Too bad you didn’t read beyond his original twitter or read the author’s horrendous bigotry against gays. Guess that part wasn’t important to you.

91. Sam

February 17, 2017 at 6:47 am

“I will always be cautious of white gays; many of them are not progressive. They lack intersectionality”. Really? In an article that claims that ignorance is not bliss, it is important to highlight that there isn’t a single type of “white gay” and therefore, interesectionality is absolutely the norm rather than the exception. I should also point out that Cover Boy’s ignornace should not be confused with not being progressive; for examole, one can be conservative in their politics and still be respectful of different sexual identities, cultural origins, and political points of view.

Fighting ignorance with ignorance is not a winning combination.

92. Lauren

February 17, 2017 at 7:15 am

This whole thing was an over dramatized, oversensitive shit show. Yes, Africa is wonderful and underappreciated. However do you really think a) this very gay, drag queen teenager even WANTED to go? No I doubt it. Do you think he cares about much outside fashion, make up and being a a trans teen model? No I doubt it.

Y’all need to stop holding people to impossible standards. Do you research a bunch of shit about mexico or Brazil before you go there? No I doubt it.

And random side note: how is Taylor swifts video showing her making g a vintage movie on the planes of Africa racist? Are you stupid? Did you want her to make one standing with Pigmy’s? That certainly has a lot to do with the song.

93. Andy

February 17, 2017 at 7:17 am

You will always be cautious of white gays??? Sounds like you are the one stereotyping

94. Nic S

February 17, 2017 at 7:32 am

I wish with you up until the end when you suddenly generalized “white gays.”

Can’t take you seriously if while judging someone for harmful generalization you turn around to do the same thing.

95. Jamie

February 17, 2017 at 7:47 am

Honestly, this is overdramatic. He made one comment that, I agree, was not the best thing to tweet. To create an article that states “How dare James travel to Africa and not do his research.”- every American has the right to travel. As well as “I will always be cautious of white gays”- the LGBT community is also a minority group that is facing hardships. Being offended because your country was targeted does not give you the right to target another group of people. Not all “white gays” have the same mindset, similar to how not all black people are the same.

96. MegLy

February 17, 2017 at 7:53 am

Really? You wrote an entire article on how people need to educate themselves and not make assumptions or stereotype, and then you throw this at the end? Makes you and the article lose a TON of credibility. Practice what you preach.

97. Anonymous

February 17, 2017 at 8:25 am

Agreed with you up until “I will always be cautious of white gays; many of them aren’t that progressive. They lack intersectionality.” You followed that with, “You can not define a whole continent with a disease that only affected few countries within it. Africa is much more than the negative images people portray about it.” Think about that?

98. Erra

February 17, 2017 at 8:27 am

Not that what Charles did was right, but where’s the part where he said that “all Africa has is ebola”? I hate it when media shoves words in someone’s mouth, regardless of who that person is.

99. Rhane McQuain

February 17, 2017 at 8:29 am

Saying that you will always be cautious of white gays because of their “lack of intersectionality” that causes many of them to lack progressive views is another ignorant generalization that divides us.

Other than that sole comment I completely agree with you.

100. Syndell Collins

February 17, 2017 at 8:51 am

“I will always be cautious of white gays; many of them aren’t that progressive. They lack intersectionality” Now who’s spreading ignorance? Statements like this are just as wrong as statements like his. Educate yourself and keep your blatantly racist views out of your articles if you want people to listen to what you have to say.

101. Pingback: Covergirl’s New Cover Boy Under Fire for Africa Ebola Comments « WPGC – 95.5

102. Skulleh

February 17, 2017 at 8:59 am

“You can not define a whole continent with a disease that only affected few countries within it.”

Yet it’s okay to define an entire group of people based on their skin color?

He never said that all Africa has is ebola, he was expressing worry bc ebola WAS an ACTUAL EPIDEMIC that happened IN AFRICA mainly and as far as he knew it might not have been completely eradicated- bc ebola WAS primarily an African issue, people generally associate ebola with Africa. Because that is where it mainly occurred.

He was afraid of catching a VERY DEADLY disease that he wasn’t sure was eradicated in its country of origin or not.

103. Jai

February 17, 2017 at 9:49 pm

Get some balls you damn PC correct assholes. You PC assholes are the entire reason we have Donald Trump as president. You want to police free speech and are afraid to offend anyone. I got new for you, half of America doesn’t give a fuck about being PC.

The NFL football team the Washington redskins that you think Has a negative image of Native Americans. Flash news for you. The polls among the Native Americans shows that 9 out of 10 Native Americans don’t give a fuck about it.

If you want to get rid of trump you have to stop pandering to everything that you belief is offensive. That’s what pisses white voters off is that you cling and pander to every single minorit is being offended. I’m sorry if all Americans don’t know what the QAI in LGBTQAI means. You expect them to embrace you then scream about discrimination when someone uses the wrong pro noun. Get the hell out if your asses and realize there are bigger problems to solve that a few fringe groups that exist who cry if someone says anything not PC.

I am a minority. I’m gay. But you can say faggot to me. I don’t get offended by it. Most of the time it’s my gay friends saying, so it’s not taken seriously. But the second a straight group of guys says it to you feel offended and need your safe place to go and cope with the trauma they caused you. Don’t act like a fucking stereo type.
    The same is true in the African American community, it’s ok for them to call each other nigger, but the second a white person does it you scream they are racist. If you find the word so offensive then correct your own attitudes about calling another member of your own race that word. Same thing for the LGBT community, stop whining and crying you the helpless victims. If someone touches you, there is a problem. Otherwise just don’t pay the person saying it any attention.

If we are going to start winning governorships back, if we are going to take back state houses back, if we are going to take the house and senate back, the presidency, the supreme courts and all the federal judges who will protect minority right, we MUST stop being little cry baby’s. We lost to Trump for that very reason. We were pandering to every minority, but you know who got left out, the factory working white males that would normally vote democrat in Iowa,Wisconsin, Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania. They are a minority too. The are just feed up with empty promises from democrats who pander to them less and less every 4 years. The gave the democrats a huge fuck you. Trump promised them what they wanted to hear. Even though it will not happen, they are just grasping at straws to survive.

So let’s look at this in perspective, gay guy gets called faggot in a tweet and every liberal thinking person jumps out and say you can say that, you have to apologize and show remorse over a stupid name. Where is that same liberal outrage when a poor white family is doing everything they can to keep a roof over their heads and feed themselves. There are only a very small group of democrats who get that.

So he made a joke about the country of Africa, who the fuck cares. Focus on the real issues. Stop with the word policing. People are always offended by something. It doesn’t need to be the next viral tweet shitstorm that all of you PC people make it. If your offended by what I just said, GOOD! Look at the world around you and get your heads out of your asses and realize the bigger picture. If you took offense to what I just said and thing I’m wrong, let me tell you what I think, FUCK YOU.

• Anonymous

February 17, 2017 at 10:21 pm

Lol. You’re an idiot who just knows a lot of words

104. Pingback: CoverGirl Ambassador James Charles Apologizes for Racist Ebola Tweet | aspost

105. Sasha Nicole Stephens

February 18, 2017 at 2:38 am

I’m a drag queen and I say take the faggot’s Covergirl campaign! Anyone with eyebrows that big doesn’t deserve to be a Covergirl model. Idiot!

106. rhadee

February 18, 2017 at 5:41 am

Glad he took that dick out of his mouth long enuff to realize how much he really sucks!

107. Sherry

February 18, 2017 at 6:31 am

Seriously? It’s obvious he was just making a joke. Who the hell but an idiot actually believes he only associates Africa with a disease? People need to stop being so easily offended.

108. Laura B

February 18, 2017 at 11:14 am

I’m sorry but it was so OBVIOUSLY a joke. Shit like this pisses me off. People get so fucking offended when someone makes a joke like this but that same joke is HILARIOUS if Family Guy or SNL says it. 😒😒😒

109. Fay Parks

February 18, 2017 at 5:25 pm

It was both ignorance on each end. Throwing shade with shade is very unprofessional especially writing a blog that has a racist quote that degrade white gays. Both should be penalized for even working with cover girl, being a spokes person requires professionalism at all times, nothing should be able to take you out of character. Being a face also should has responsibility because now you are a roll model and to make a quote that stereotype other makes the company as well as yourself look bad.

110. alex

February 18, 2017 at 7:00 pm

You’re biased for thinking you’re not as biased as your “white counterparts”

111. Anonymous

February 18, 2017 at 8:05 pm

This is one of the most ridiculous articles I’ve read in a while, which is saying a lot since most articles that pop up on Facebook are ridiculous. What’s more is that I felt I needed to post a comment, because this is SO RIDICULOUS! Not only did the article sound unprofessional (as I would imagine a 16 year old, run on sentence type of article) but halfway through I though it was a satirical article, which honestly made me appreciate it more. I actually thought for a second this article was making fun of people who get offended all the time because it was so ridiculous. Which makes me wonder if you get tired being offended all the time? He’s a kid, it was a joke, this article is annoying and is making a huuuuuuuge stretch to be relevant.

112. Tempest in a Teapot

February 18, 2017 at 8:28 pm

I’m a white gay libertarian and my friends and I are laughing our heads off over this. You people have gone INSANE. Congratulations on your cover, James. Be careful not to fall in with these intolerant humorless Torquemadas. Best to you, kid.

113. Bradley Hemler

February 18, 2017 at 9:05 pm

First of all, the scene(s) in Taylor Swift’s video for “Wildest Dreams” in which you are referencing, were filmed as though she was 1950’s era film star, on set in Africa while she & her white male co-star are on a safari…(which still is a pretty big moneymaker for the African tourism). There is nothing about the song that describes, references, or expresses any opinion of Africa in any way, and the video itself is largely based on a fantasy or idea, hence the title “Wildest DREAMS”… So exactly what “stereotypical assumption” is she portraying? Can you elaborate a little more on this for me? Because I’m pretty sure she was just filming a music video, and you just decided to use her in a highly ignorant form in your attempt to trash talk a large number of the Caucasian population…
    I get it. The statement he made wasn’t very politically correct and even less thought out. However, he is very young & has a lot to learn; a point which he very clearly makes in the public apology he later posted.
    You, however, expressing very blatant & obvious racism, sexism, & homophobia toward “white gays” in an article in which you try to condemn another person for something they said, makes you out to be very ignorant & rather hypocritical. Just saying…
    -a white gay

• Emy

February 20, 2017 at 5:03 pm

I would like to add that at the end of the video it states that ” All of Taylor’s proceeds from this video will be Donated to wild animal conservation efforts through the African Parks Foundation of America”. This organization focuses on rehabilitation, long-term management and conservation of five major Parks through Africa. Initiatives include anti-poaching rangers, habitat conservation and engaging local communities to protect and preserve Regional Wildlife with tourism.

114. Pingback: BarbieGutz Talks Racism, Trump, And Being a Role Model – Affinity Magazine | For The Social Teen

115. Luke

February 19, 2017 at 12:11 am

Well Ebola is a very dangerous disease and anyone who wouldn’t be concerned I would say is more ignorant than the kid who is. None knows how it’s transmitted or why it surfaces when it does. Just because there hasn’t been an out break doesn’t mean it’s not there. Give the kid a break like Paris is such an outstanding citizen bitch please.

116. MadMax

February 19, 2017 at 1:56 am

But somebody please tell him Africa is not a “country.” Lord have mercy…

117. Shimona from the Palace

February 19, 2017 at 4:17 am

“All genders should be allowed to wear make-up. Covergirl making this progressive step forward showed us that make-up can defy the limits of gender.”

There is nothing “progressive” in the fact of a man wearing make-up. It is merely a case of fashion making the rounds. In the 18th century, it was common for men (of the upper classes, at any rate) to paint their faces, apply powder and patch etc. (The lower classes, of either sex, didn’t have money to spare for such luxuries, of course).
    As for Ebola – well, he could have named any number of other diseases that are more common in Africa and Asia than in the US or Europe – and, in fact, travellers to those countries are required to be vaccinated beforehand.

118. Anonymous

February 21, 2017 at 4:48 am

Africa is not a country.