President Trump’s new budget proposal goes after many of the agencies that protect our shared history and humanity. One of the things that the budget instead allocates money for is the border wall, which requires $4 billion from the US treasury for construction. The budget proposal also requires a cut to federal agencies in order to increase military spending according to OMB Director Mick Mulvaney. A hearing on the budget proposal will be held in front of Congress today.
Trump’s budget proposes to abolish 24 government programs. These programs include:
- The African Development Foundation
- The Appalachian Regional Commission
- The Chemical Safety Board
- Corporation for Public Broadcasting (funds shows like Sesame Street and PBS Newshour);
- The Delta Regional Authority
- The Denali Commission
- The Institute of Museum and Library Services (supports museums and public libraries across the states–providing free books and historical enrichment for American children)
- The Inter-American Foundation
- The U.S Trade and Development Agency
- The Legal Services Corporation; the Northern Border Regional Commission
- The Overseas Private Investment Corporation
- The United States Institute of Peace
- The United States Interagency Council on Homelessness (provides shelter and food for the homeless)
- The Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars.
The groups that he wishes to abolish are the ones who aim to preserve and support the environment, protect civil rights, preserve historical and contemporary art, and public broadcasting.
He does promise not to cut Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid – which is good, I guess?
I was the first & only potential GOP candidate to state there will be no cuts to Social Security, Medicare & Medicaid. Huckabee copied me.
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) 7 maj 2015
It is truly ironic how Trump promised his “American” people 25 million jobs during his campaign, but he removes government programs that require a large amount of staff – approximately 3.5 million people. Not only is he cutting off any traces of humanity’s history by eliminating museums and libraries, he’s also putting millions of Americans out of work in the process.
JOBS, JOBS, JOBS! pic.twitter.com/wAkQMKdPXA
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) March 14, 2017
What a way to Make America Great Again™, by completely getting rid of it.