The Underlying Sexism of London’s Nightclub Scene

A few weeks back, my friend had asked me to tag along with her and some friends to a club in London equipped with guest list entry, free drinks and a section all to ourselves to which I thought that this should be fun and stress free. Big mistake. The night ended up being a bit of a disaster – we had a good time but ended up not getting into a club purely due to the fact that I had a penis and some of my friends weren’t “pretty enough”. And yes, you read that correctly.

Ten minutes or so after our group arrived to the queue, one of the “door pickers” stated that it was ladies’ night and guys had to go to the back of the line without any valid explanation but simply because of their gender. We would then be told that I would eventually get in but I’d have to pay at least £20 whereas girls may get in for free depending on how beautiful they are. None of our group could believe what we were hearing and after waiting almost half an hour, we didn’t even see the point so we went elsewhere, not without jeering at the bouncers for their sexist behaviour but it was a similar situation when we headed over to the next bar. Why are my girl friends having to compromise because I am a male? I should be able to be let in at the same time as them and have to pay the same price, it’s doing no harm.

If you go out to clubs in not just London but any major city in the world, you would not expect the bouncers at the door to take issue with your appearance or gender yet in many cases, it matters for some reason. The theory is that if bouncers fill clubs with girls, more men will come which causes club promoters to pester girls on Facebook, providing a precise list of requirements such as dressing glamorously, no guys or curvy girls and bringing an extra £20 just incase you don’t have “the look” and you have to end up paying for entry, given that the doormen have to follow a certain brief. Even when going for an enjoyable night out, women are having to fit in with an unrealistic idea of perfection in its highest form with a butch middle aged man determining how your night will turn out. Sounds immoral, doesn’t it? Women have been unfairly sexualised for decades so why reinforce such an outdated rule when women are trying to overcome being objectified?

In a country that has adequate equality laws, why are they not being put into practice in this case? What is being done is actually illegal under the 2010 Equality Act which disallows when someone “treats another less favourably than they treat others because of a ‘protected characteristic’”. So why does this continue? Mainly because most people won’t bother to file a complaint as there are a handful of clubs that don’t discriminate due to gender or look so people will take their money to them but also because there’s a general idea that men can’t be oppressed but here lies a perfect example.

It enrages me that few nightclubs endorse such blatant gender discrimination and objectification but it baffles me even more that people allow this to happen and that no action is being done to combat against demeaning both men and women. It’s become part of the social norm overtime but has to be stopped given that it is straight up problematic. People go on nights out to have fun, not to be judged on appearance or sex, so let’s allow everyone the same opportunity.

Comments

comments

Have your say!

0 0
Ryan-Adam
Written by
20, living in london, dancer in training, simply wanting the world to be better

14 Comments

1. I amm surde thi pijece off wriing hass touched alll tthe internet visitors, itts reeally really pkeasant aricle on buildding uup new blog.
    I’ll righnt away takie hold of yur rrss ferd ass I
    ccan nott iin findong yyour e-mail subscription hyperlinmk orr e-newsletter
    service. Do you have any? Kindxly let mme know sso tthat I ccould subscribe.
    Thanks. I’ll immmediately cluth yopur rrss aas I cann nott tto find yyour mail suhscription linnk
    orr e-newsletter service. Do you’ve any? Kidly allow
    mee recgnise soo thwt I could subscribe. Thanks.

2. Este projeto é steller ! Você certamente sabe
    como manter um leitor divertia. Entre sua sagacidade e seus
    vídeos, eu estava quase mudou-se para começar o meu próprio blog (bem, quase…
    HaHa!) Fantástico . Eu realmente amei que você
    tinha a dizer, e mais do que isso, como você apresentou.
    Legal demais!

3. Olá ! Esta é minha primeira visita ao seu blog!

Nós somos um equipe de voluntários e começando um novo iniciativa em uma comunidade
    no mesmo nicho. Seu blog nos forneceu útil informações
    para trabalhar em. Você fez um pendentes emprego!

4. Oi lá importa-me avisar que host da web
    é utilizando ? Eu carreguei o seu blog em 3 completamente diferente navegadores e devo dizer que este blog carrega muito
    mais rápido então a maioria. Você pode recomendo um bom Hospedagem de provedor em um razoável
    preço? Saúde , Obrigado!

5. naturalmente como seu web site no entanto você precisa verificar
    a ortografia em vários de seus posts. Diversos de eles estão
    repleto de ortografia problemas e eu em encontrar muito
    problemático dizer a realidade por outro lado I’ll
    certamente vem volta novamente.

6. Tem incrível para pagar uma visita rápida isto
    página web e lendo as opiniões de todos companheiros
    relativa isto n., enquanto eu também sou afiado de conseguir
    sabe-como.

7. Eu acho que o admin deste local é genuinamente trabalhando duro em apoio
    do dele web site , como aqui todas as dados é
    qualidade com base dados .

8. Esta é minha primeira vez uma visita aqui e estou realmente feliz
    para ler todos em um Coloque.

9. Olá , Descobri seu site de Google ao mesmo tempo como procurando um comparáveis importa ,
    seu site veio, parece ser como grande. Tenho bookmarked-lo
    em meus favoritos do google.
    Olá , simplesmente tornou-se alerta para seu blog através de Google,
    e localizado que é verdadeiramente informativo. Eu sou
    vai cuidado para Bruxelas. I’ll apreciar para
    aqueles quem proceder isto no futuro. Muitos
    pessoal provavelmente será beneficiou de sua escrevendo.
    Um brinde!

10. Tem incrível para uma visita isto web site e lendo
    as opiniões de todos companheiros sobre isto
    n., enquanto eu também sou afiado de conseguir experiência

11. My famiily members all the time say that Iam killing my time here at web, but I know I am
    getting experience every day by reading such good articles.

12. Hello just wanted to give you a quick heads up.
    The words in your post seem to be running off the screen in Internet explorer.
    I’m not sure if this is a formatting issue or something to do with browser compatibility but I thought I’d post
    to let you know. The design and style look great though!

Hope you get the issue solved soon. Kudos

13. Thanks for a marvelous posting! I really enjoyed
    reading it, you’re a great author. I will make sure to bookmark your
    blog and will eventually come back someday. I want to encourage one to continue your great writing, have a nice weekend! https://filanthrope.org/groups/the-mafia-guide-to-driving-games/

14. Hi there, I found your site by the use of Google at the same time as looking
    for a comparable subject, your web site came up, it looks good.
    I’ve bookmarked it in my google bookmarks.
    Hi there, just was alert to your blog via Google, and found that it’s truly informative.

I am going to watch out for brussels. I’ll be
    grateful for those who continue this in future. Lots of people will likely be
    benefited from your writing. Cheers!