Girls need to support girls. I’ve attended an All-Girls school for the past 7 years of my life and sometimes it’s unbelievable how bitchy girls can be to each other. However, it also amazes me how supportive and wonderful we can be to each other as well. At the moment, when the feminist movement is needed in order to uplift equality into the lives of many people, I think it’s crucial now to pick each other up rather than breaking each other down. So here are 10 things to say to support your gals, some are simple, some less obvious, but all are uplifting:
- Simple yet obvious – “You look good today”
- Replacing the adjective “good” with, “fierce” “strong” etc, is always a nice compliment.
- Complimenting someone on something they’ve worked on is always nice (especially in the arts) – ” Oh my god, you’re absolutely amazing at writing poetry”
- Something that isn’t as widely mentioned is encouraging your friends to get smear tests and to regularly check their breasts for abnormalities. It is so important to do this because as people we sometimes forget that our bodies need to have a check up every now and then.
- Praise the girls who want to go into STEM subjects and praise the girls who don’t. We don’t have to go into Science or Maths to be strong women. We can choose our future and we should receive support no matter what.
- “bitch”, “slut”, “whore” are words that need to be dumped. We should NOT be tearing each other down because of our sexual preferences. Sex is not something to be ashamed of.
- I’m a sucker for the “Like A Girl” advert and I think it’s definitely something that we need to get behind, because like a girl doesn’t mean weak, or stupid, or useless. It means strong, amazing, independent.
- “Keep going” sometimes a little encouragement is all we need to get by.
- “Go get it”
- “I love you and I support you”
We need positivity. We need to do things our way and stop the negativity because it gets us nowhere. Girls need to support girls, but also we all need to support each other.