1. The Balance: 120 days of resistance. More than 96 people killed of which more than 12 were minors. Most victims are 19 years old or younger. 15.000 hurt, 6 missing, 4072 arrested for protesting, 444 political prisoners (including majors, activists, the new members of the supreme court, etc.). 479 were presented before a military court while being civilians. As told by Lilian Tintori, leader of the opposition, wife of Leopoldo Lopez.
2. The Great Fraud:
- A new constitution that did not get summited to elections, instead, they went directly to the election of new constitutionalists.
- According to some allegedly leaked document this new constitution may bring: the elimination of private property, elimination of private education, elimination of private media, there will be no parental authority after age 6 (kids belong to the state), permission needed to leave the country and to travel interstate, presidential periods of 20-30 years, no elections, etc. Declarations from government officials and the president, next to the forever well-expressed admiration of the ways of the Cuban government by them, leads everyone to take this rumors as facts. There is no doubt that this Constitution seeks to legalize dictatorship and it was fit made for Maduro.
- One person can vote several times.
- The already denounced illegal use of the image of Venezuelan artists like Norkys Batista, Bobby Comedia and others portraying them as supporters of the new constitution.
- The unconscious already denounced use of the data from super markets and pharmacies to count votes.
- “Constitutionalists” that have no preparation whatsoever including taxi drivers, fishermen, farmers, etc.
- The firing threats to employees of the State if they do not assist to government events and vote for this new constitution. They are forcing them to bring people with them too. They call it “1×10”. They are even recording attendance
- The use of old images and videos from long ago rallies claiming to be recent. In one case they even used an image where a politician that passed away could be spotted.
“What couldn’t be done by votes, will be done by weapons” –Nicolás Maduro, President of Venezuela.
3. The International Reaction:
- 26 thousand Venezuelans ran away to Colombia a few days ago, in response, Colombia received them with an open heart and will give temporary residence to 150 thousand Venezuelans.
- The United States Government threatened with “quick and strong economic measures” if the new constitution proceeded and sanctioned 8 members of the Venezuelan Supreme Court and other 5 government officials by taking away any property in US land and forbidding any transactions involving them. Mexico and Colombia joined these measures. Note: The Supreme Court of Justice is the biggest accomplice to the dictatorship to the point that they illegally “dissolved” the Opposition Majority Venezuelan National Assembly.
- The OAS (Organization of American States) had their last meeting regarding Venezuela on July 26, but still cannot agree on actions. 13 out of the 34 countries signed to reject this constitution; Argentina, Brasil, Canadá, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, United States, Guatemala, Honduras, México, Panamá, Paraguay, and Perú.
- The drop out of the international airlines. Delta Airlines, Avianca, United Airlines. Last year these ones drop out too: Air Canada, Tiara Air, Al Italia, Gol, Lata, Lufthasa, Aeroméxico, Avance.
4. The Opposition’s Actions:
- Blocking of the streets
- National economic strikes: Some businesses got closed down by the government just because they didn’t opened the day of the strikes.
- The designation, by the National Assembly of new members for the Supreme Court, following all legal proceedings.
- A symbolic referendum to prove, with numbers, the rejection of this illegal new constitution. With only 1 month to organize them and with no systems to count with, Venezuelans all around the world lined up to vote, as they had the right to and never got to. Many lines were so massive that many people did not get a chance to vote before the centers closed. 7.5 million voted. 98.5% agreed for the National Army to obey the National Assembly. 98.3% asked for the public powers to be renewed, asked for free and fair elections and for a transition government.
5. The Count Down and What it Brought:
- The even more violent rising of the dollar against the Bolívar.
- Protests dispersed with arrests, tear gas bombs, bullets, tanks and other equipment.
- The exchange from prison to house arrest for Leopoldo Lopez and Antonio Ledezma, leaders of opposition parties.
- Several cases of police shooting at buildings, breaking into houses and neighborhoods with no warrants, smashing car windows.
- The “Plan Tun Tun” which consists of going door to door trying to find people involved in protests and “Plan Zamora” which consists of extreme measures of vigilance, control and patrol with more police presence. Note: There is also another component, the “colectivos” people that get paid and are given weapons to dissolve protests, attack opposition politicians, etc.
- The Government, yesterday July 29, formally prohibit protests against the new constitution.
If you want to keep track on what is going on in Venezuela but you don’t know Spanish, follow the account @Venezuela in Instagram managed by the influencer Lele Pons.
Share for awareness.