Important: as we are not a “for-profit” magazine, there is no compensation for being a staff writer. This is all volunteer.
Are you a young teen who has always had an interest in journalism? or have a friend that does? Then join the Affinity Magazine team! Join other teens like yourself posting articles from all over the world! Affinity Magazine allows you to get your writing published and read by thousands of people! You can get your work published and sharpen up on your writing so you can write for The New York Times one day (hopefully!!)
Affinity Magazine works to spotlight teen voices about current events. We find that the media sometimes forgets the voices of teens on many topics! So we are here to give them a voice.
You must be between the ages of 13-19. Please keep in mind that we review applications thoroughly. If you aren’t selected, you can try again at a later time. Expect to hear from us in five days to two weeks usually (if you’re selected). This application is rolling, meaning there is no deadline. We accept all people regardless of race, sex or gender, or country (yes, we accept writers from all over the world). There is no compensation; This is all volunteer.
Positions open (click photos to apply):
Why should you be an Affinity writer?
Here are 11 reasons:
1. You will have published work at a young age! If you want a future career in writing, this is a great chance for you to get started. This is also a chance to see if writing is for you! It’s like a free trial
2. Our articles are seen by millions of readers in over 200 countries and all 50 US states. So your voice is always heard.
3. It’s a great experience for your college applications. Our writers and editors have been accepted into Stanford, Columbia University, University of Michigan, Yale and more! It’s always a bonus to have published work and journalism experience on your applications!
4. It looks GREAT on a resume! Our writers are learning journalism skills years before they even start college!
5. You learn a lot of skills necessary to succeed in the professional world.
6. We are like a family! Friendships remain long after you stop writing at Affinity!
7. You can write about anything you want! Whether it’s album reviews, political op-eds, interviews, or poetry, your work has a place on our site. We don’t limit our writers (since we are independent we have the freedom to post anything).
8. We are credible. We have been featured in the Washington Post, Vice, Teen Vogue, Business Insider and more!
9. You get a cool author’s bio and profile that you can share and take along with you forever!
10. You’ll get to grow your writing — we aren’t looking for already perfect writers. We are looking for people who want to learn how to be the best.
11. You’ll have opportunities to interview cool and interesting people! Our writers have interviewed a ton of celebrities and even covered festivals like Firefly, Coachella, Boston Calling Vans Warp, Austin City Limits, Governor’s Ball and more!
What are our teen journalists saying about us?